8 Travel / Life-Got-Busy Workouts
Life is so busy! Whether it's travel for work, the hectic grind of our day-to-day schedule, or the ever-coveted, but all-too-elusive vacation, we know that it's not always possible to make it to the gym as often as we would like. However, if we're being honest with ourselves, it's a rare day that we're actually too busy to get in a little exercise.
We set the bar high at the gym for what an intense workout feels like, but it's important that we don't see all-out efforts as the only option for productive exercise. So, instead of viewing your workout routine as all-or-nothing, try one of these the next time life's got you swamped, or you're trapped in a hotel gym and looking to get a sweat going:
1. AMRAP 10: 9 Straight Leg Raises, 12 Burpees, 15 Air Squats
2. Accumulate as many sit-ups as possible in 12 minutes. On the even minutes, stop and do 12 Jumping Lunges, on the odd minutes, stop and do 15 Push-ups
3. 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 V-ups, Jumping Squats, Overhead Lunge Steps (arms locked out above you, L+R=1)
4. For 16 minutes, work back and forth between one minute of work and one minute of rest, cycling through: Mountain Climbers, Squats, Hand Plank, Goblet Squats (one dumbbell)
5. AMRAP 10: 30 Flutter Kicks (L+R=1), 10 Push-ups, 5 Dumbbell Squat Cleans (R), 5 Dumbbell Squat Cleans (L)
6. In 12 minutes: 60 Alternating Lunge Steps, then AMRAP: 18 Sit-ups, 9 Dumbbell Thrusters, 9 Half Burpees (no push-up)
7. 5 Rounds: 10 Dumbbell Rows (L+R=1), 10 One-arm Dumbbell Front Squat (R), 20 Russian Twists (no weight, L+R=1), 10 One-arm Dumbbell Front Squat (L)
8. 50 Squats, 40 Dumbbell Push Press, 30 Burpees, 40 Sit-ups (no arms), 50 Squats
tabatatimer.com and free Tabata apps for your phone are also great tools to take advantage of when you're in a pinch. Pick a couple movements you like (or don't like), set the timer, and get to it. It could be no easier.
Remember, all-out intensity isn't the goal for every workout. The pace you choose is 100% up to you, but see the workout through! Move, sweat, do what you can, and I promise you'll feel a whole lot better for having done something!