Micro / Macro


I’ve had a few people recently ask me about what the difference is between “micros” and “macros,” so I wanted to use this opportunity to explain in a little more detail what they are and how you can use them to edit your diet to what works best for you.

“Macro” is short for macronutrient, and they’re called that because our bodies need them in larger quantities (protein, fat, and carbohydrates).

“Micro” is short for micronutrient and they’re called that because we need them in lower quantities (vitamins, minerals, fiber etc.).

What we’ve found is that striking the right balance between all of these things is the most precise way to lose fat, build muscle, perform better in the gym, and improve your health.

Within all of this, there’s thousands of ways to track these ratios. Flexible Dieting, If It Fits Your Macros,  Carb Cycling, the list goes on and on… My main point is that no one template is going to work for everyone all the time, but if you can establish some baseline habits by tracking your macros, you can set yourself up for a lifetime of better health.

For me, the best success I’ve had is Flexible Dieting. It’s basically a way of tracking your macros to suit your goals without the added stress of having to completely eliminate certain things or having to eat perfectly every single day. I try to hit my numbers by eating mostly whole foods, but I don’t let it ruin my day if decide to have a donut. I just track it (the best I can) and then I move on. If you’re interested in learning more about Flexible Dieting, I highly recommend the book FD2.0 by Krissy Mae Cagney. It was a huge help to me when I first started tracking macros and I’m sure you’ll like it too.

Ultimately, no one food is going to ruin your progress. Similarly, no one “bad” day or week is going to keep you from achieving your goals. Just like no one “good” day or week is going to get you there. It’s all about what can you do consistently over the long-term.

If you’ve received any nutrition coaching from me, you know I talk a lot about doing things 80/20. 80% of the time, eat lean proteins, tons of veggies, healthy fats; the other 20%, have the ice cream/beer/pizza/cookie. Just track it as close as you can and enjoy it!

Life is way too short to always skip dessert. Just make sure to have some spinach and chicken that day too!